Wednesday 21 August 2013

A ship, a school, a Kink and your ex.

I'm having the best time!

The gig on the Albatros sailing ship was something a bit special; great location and wonderful crowd. I hope to return as soon as possible.

The following week I was part of a team delivering a series of "transitions" workshops for children moving into year 7. I was responsible for the music part of the programme which including getting them all playing an instrument and helping them to write a song which addressed their concerns about this pivotal moment of their young lives. The kids were a pleasure to work with, as were the rest of the team and the staff at the school.

It was another good event at Fletcher's bar to celebrate the female singers who performed at the old Ritz Ballroom in the '60s. I performed songs by Dusty Springfield, Cilla Black and Sandie Shaw, as well as a couple of originals. I'll be back again on the 14th of September to mark the 50th anniversary of the Rolling Stones' performance at the former Kings Heath venue.

Last week (10th-17th) August I was one of 15 very lucky song writers to be invited to take part in a course held by Ray Davies and Marion Wells at Dartington International Summer School, Devon. I had a really amazing, inspiring experience there. Ray Davies is on of my greatest heroes, and I am unable to express how important the time I spent discussing song writing with him has been to me. I feel really privileged to have met, played and written with a number of very talented musicians from all over the world. A truly mindblowing week.

At the moment I am taking part in rehearsals for Tell Me About Your Ex, a brand new piece of Verbatim theatre made up entirely of stories submitted by members of the public. I'm working with a really talented cast, writer and director and having a ball. More details to follow soon.



No comments: