Sunday 18 April 2010

It has been a very busy fortnight since my last post, and circumstances have once again left me unable to do much communicating with the world at the very moment when there's an awful lot happening I'd like to shout about!

First of all, a beautiful short break in Pembrokeshire with my lovely girlfriend, parents, brother, sister in law and baby niece was the perfect way to relax a little and get some perspective on the busy week that was ahead of me. This has got nothing to do with music but I really love, with a frankly worrying zeal, everything about Saundersfoot, Tenby and the surrounding areas. I did when I was twelve, and I can confidently say I always will. I think we're successfully passing it on to a third generation of our family too, as Baby Lily had a fabulous time, and she isn't easily pleased.

Back in the West Midlands and I'm stepping on stage at The Robin 2, Bilston. I was supporting Edwina Hayes (I mentioned her and talked a bit about her bio in the last post) and was very pleased to find a warm and welcoming audience, many of whom were kind enough to come and chat with me, buy my CD and join the Robert Lane mailing list.

As for Edwina herself she was very friendly and passed on a few cool stories from her time supporting musicians as diverse as Jools Holland and Loudon Wainwright III. This kind of unassuming but thoroughly interesting anecdote also populated her set, alongside fabulous originals and some great covers that introduced me to some new artists.

She also had Mark Wynn along for the drive from up north who delivered a short set of bluesy folk tunes.

Here's a couple of slightly unlit pictures of Edwina and I taken by one of her super-fans



The gig was great, and I'm hoping to return to The Robin very soon. The rest of that week was spent in the studio working on two new tracks. More inf0 to come...

No comments: