Tuesday 2 February 2016

Paul Murphy

I'm so pleased to have met Paul Murphy and to have been involved with Songwriters' Cafe. Honestly one of the best gigs I've ever played. The first time I went was a revelation and taught me the valuable and much needed lesson that there are people in the world who support arts and artists for love rather than profit. Performing there would include being welcomed into Paul's home and fed wonderful food, as well as getting to play to a great group of people. Attending as an audience member, which I did as often as I could, meant getting to see an amazingly eclectic range of musicians and hang out with the most lovely people. The first time I went I knew nobody other than the band I was playing with, the last time I went I felt like I was amongst family.

With it's open fire, unique garden location and gathering of cool people on long summer evenings I found the place rather romantic and on a couple of occasions invited pretty girls along in an attempt to impress them. Of course they would invariably fall in love with Paul, hosting things in his modest and charming way. I remember one gig when the final act was caught in traffic and Paul had to play the last set himself. No problem for him of course but as luck would have it he had delivered his main set the previous week. Not wanting to give the audience the same thing two weeks running he improvised new songs and stories instead.

Over the last few years I've met some amazing people who organise music events, many of them being kind enough to offer food or a bed for the night. It's very humbling to be welcomed by people like that and I always think how lucky I am to have had my eyes opened up to this world by Paul. Thanks mate.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/tributes-paid-destroyers-star-paul-10825682

No comments: