Friday 17 May 2013



Monday 13th May was a great day. I was lucky enough to play before Eric Clapton in the Forum Live of the LG Arena in Birmingham. I’ve played there a couple of times before and both previous occasions were good fun but this one was a bit special.

The doors opened at 5, and by 6 it was busy so I started playing. The lull that I was expecting didn’t take place and the majority of people stayed and carried on listening. The initial group was bolstered by later arrivals and soon I was performing not just to people gathered around the tables and chairs directly in front of me but people standing all around the stage. I ended playing for an hour and twenty minutes because the crowd were so nice.





I had quite a few people take cards and join my mailing list, and after I’d finished playing I was approached by a number of friends who happened to be attending the gig (my friends have impeccable taste, naturally.)

Best of all was seeing Eric play, of course. This was the second time I’ve been to a Clapton concert and I loved every minute of it. I’ve written about some of my idols in the past but I’m scared of trying to explain the importance of this man and his music on me. So I’m not going to try. Suffice to say he is a musical giant who has recorded with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, in fact he’s played with just about everyone. He’s my favourite guitar player and a criminally underrated singer and songwriter. I know some diehards might not agree but I loved the fact that he played a lot of the set strumming acoustic guitar and concentrating on his singing, which was excellent. Made it all the more exciting when he did strap on his strat and play some solos, particular highlights being I Shot The Sherriff and Badge, a song which I was thrilled to hear live.


No comments: