Wednesday 24 August 2011

The Yardbird, Birmingham's wonderful Jazz Club, is becoming something of a home from home. I'm playing pretty often on the Sunday evening event, Free Love Club, hosted by the rather lovely David Timothy. On the 14th of August I performed solo in an early evening slot which was good fun due to a nice crowd, including a family of tourists soaking up a bit of Brummie Culture. It was following this gig that I took a look at the recently damaged shops in New Street.

The following week, the 21st, David invited The Robert Lane Band to play a later slot. I was joined by Mick Jeynes on Bass, Matty Pinfield on Drums and for a couple of songs the Violin of Lucy Phillips. We went on around 9.30pm and were thrilled to play to a large and enthusiastic crowd. It was particularly exciting to play all the tunes from the upcoming EP, the first time some of them had been performed at a gig. There is always a great ambience at the Yardbird and this gig seemed to have a particularly good feel. It was a busy night and I met a few cool people before and after our set. Genuine music fans and great characters.

In the coming weeks I will be back at the Yardbird both solo and with the band. I'm also playing a Wednesday night gig in October supporting the excellent Cattle and Cane. There will be more details about these gigs on the blog soon.



No comments: