Monday 11 October 2010

Idols

Who are your idols? With the recent anniversary of the birth of one of my inspirational heroes, I thought I might have a look at my main idols and try and put into words once and for all the effect they have had on me. First up...

Rufus Wainwright

A friend of mine had two tickets to see Rufus Wainwright at Birmingham Symphony Hall. I'm not sure if I'd even heard of Rufus at this point, but I went along to the concert and I think it changed my life really.

Everyone I've ever spoken to about Rufus Wainwright has fallen into one of two categories, they either get him and love him or they really really don't.

So, not for the first time, I'll make my case for being a fan.

First of all he has a voice that I really love. He makes singing low sound wonderful which is very rare these days. But he doesn't stay low, he has got a very balletic voice which often soars from a beautify strong low note up to a more delicate note right at the top of his range...and it never sounds difficult. Most importantly, it always serves the song.

He is so musical! On one album he well venture into Broadway, Classical, Pop, Opera, and somehow it all sounds like nobody but Rufus Wainwright. These influences often sit together in on track as well..

Most of all of course it's the songs. Just listen to The Art Teacher, Vibrate, Slideshow, Crumb by Crumb, Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk

I don't think I even gave my friend the money for the ticket....

No comments: